February 08, 2014

Teaching Toddlers: Using Stickers for Patterns and Counting

I promise to not dedicate my entire blog to educational worksheets, but I've been on a roll lately….  These worksheets are honestly very simple and quick to create, but if you aren't a computer person, you can easily draw something for your toddler to utilize.  Or heck, leave your email address in the comment section (I will not post your email address on my blog) and I will email you the file to print!

Patterns

A great way to learn matching and sequencing is by using cheap garage sale dots (you can find them at the dollar store).  You know what I think of when I see garage sale dots?  Tiny Twister.  It makes me laugh (at my self) every single time. 

Okay, back to the tutorial…. 

At first, I was using notecards and placing a row of stickers at the top and Sweetpea would place matching stickers underneath. We went through a lot of stickers and a lot of notecards.  Using Word, I created circles sized .75 x .75 and shaded them the same colors as my garage sale dots. The row under the colored circles were left blank for Sweetpea to place her stickers on.  

Now, I know there are a ton of different colored dots you can buy, but if you are going to print this type of worksheet, stick with the basics.  Matching your computer dot to the exact color of neon pink on the other dots takes more time and patience than I have!


Counting

Below is another worksheet utilizing the KG Primary Dot font I used on my previous blog posting 'Teaching Toddlers: Tracing'.  Instead of tracing, I utilized the font to encourage visual recognition of each number. The goal is to place the correct number of stickers for each number.


Sweetpea loves using stickers, but sometimes she struggles to get them off the page independently. I recently learned to remove the "backing" to the stickers which allows her to easily peel the stickers off all by herself.  And you know how toddlers just LOVE to do stuff all by themselves!  Such self pride!!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment