January 05, 2012

Reading Frenzy!

I have been on a reading frenzy lately.  All thanks to the love of my life, my IPad.  Which is seriously funny because I fought tooth and nail against an e-reader, but then my husband bought me one for our anniversary. And I LOVE IT!

First, I read Bossypants by Tina Fey. Reading a ‘biography’ is definitely not my genera. But I loved every word of this book! Writing my thoughts of the book wouldn’t do it justice. Read it. It will be a welcomed break from your typical murder/mystery or chick-lit books. Trust me.

Then I read, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling (from the Office).  I read this on the skirt tails of Bossypants which wasn’t very fair to Mindy, because who wants to follow Tina Fey?? However, the book was enjoyable and I shared some of her viewpoints, especially her chapter titled “Men and Boys”. Let me say that I am so very glad that I am married to a man!

Next, I read The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, which I had seen on the best seller’s list for a while.  The title just never peaked my interest and, for some reason, I thought it would be similar to Freakeconomics or The World is Flat. Don’t ask me why, that’s just how my brain interpreted the title.  However, I was hook beginning with page one; mesmerized by the timeframe (1100’s) in which the story takes place.  I also had several “ah-ha” moments regarding the amount of power the bishops and priests really had back then. Using the church and their “saving” power to start wars. Fascinating! In the end, The Pillars of the Earth is an epic love story and shouldn’t be missed. I’m considering reading its “sequel”, but the reviews were not that great. Any thoughts on that?

Most recently, I read Room by Emma Donoghue, a book about a 27-year-old woman who is held captive as a sex slave in a small room. She has a 5-year-old son with the capture and it’s his perspective that the book is written.  Seeing this story from a 5-year-old who doesn’t see the “room” as prison, but as home makes for an thought-provoking read.

Next up: The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother


p.s. I updated my book list, check it out and tell me what I'm missing on the "must-read" shelf!


2 comments:

  1. It appears we have quite similar taste in reading material. I read "Bossypants" a few weeks ago - in fact I read most of it aloud to Mike on a roadtrip and there were times both of us were in tears because we were laughing so hard. And her "Letter to My Daughter" gets me every time. I am just finishing "Pillars of the Earth". It's been on my Kindle for a loooong time, and it took me awhile to get hooked, but the last half has been awesome. Have you seen the miniseries? I also just finished "The Marriage Plot" by the guy who wrote "Middlesex". Good, but not a great as "Middlesex" was, which is probably one of my all-time faves. I'll have to check out your other recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the miniseries... between ESPN & Nora, I don't have much time - LOL! I will have to check out "The Marriage Plot", I did enjoy "Middlesex".

    I'm thinking you need to add a book shelf to your blog!

    ReplyDelete